7 Best Diesel SUV Models: Features and Prices
For those in search of a powerful and fuel-efficient SUV, diesel engines offer an abundance of options to choose from. Diesel engines boast improved fuel efficiency and greater torque in comparison to traditional gasoline-powered motors, making them a popular pick for those seeking both power and performance from their SUV.
In this blog post, we will delve into seven of the top contenders vying for the title of best diesel SUV. We’ll provide an overview of each model, highlight key features that set them apart from competitors, and discuss pricing information so you can make an informed decision when selecting your next diesel-powered ride.
From high-end rides like the Land Rover Range Rover Sport to more affordable options such as the Mazda CX-5, this guide covers a variety of vehicles with diverse off-road capabilities, storage space capacities, security features and beyond. Read on to discover which diesel SUV is right for you!
Table of Contents:
- Top Diesel SUVs on the Market
- Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel
- GMC Yukon Duramax I-6
- Chevrolet Suburban Diesel
- Cadillac Escalade ESV Diesel
- Land Rover Range Rover Sport TD6
- Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv-D
- BMW X5 xDrive30d
- Performance and Fuel Economy Advantages of Diesel Engines
- Off-Road Capabilities of Best-Selling Diesel SUVs
- Luxury Experiences Offered by High-end Diesel Models
- Family-Friendly Features in Top Diesel SUVs
- The Future of Diesel Engines in Light of “Dieselgate”
- Frequently Asked Questions Best Diesel Suv
Top Diesel SUVs on the Market
Explore some of the superior diesel SUVs out there in today’s market, providing enhanced performance and fuel efficiency than their gasoline counterparts. These top contenders cater to car enthusiasts and drivers who prioritize performance, fuel economy, off-road capabilities or luxury experiences.
Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel
The Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel is a popular choice for those seeking an adventure-ready vehicle with impressive torque and towing capacity. Its 3.0-liter V6 turbodiesel engine delivers exceptional power while maintaining excellent fuel economy ratings.
GMC Yukon Duramax I-6
The GMC Yukon Duramax I-6, featuring a 3.0-liter inline-six diesel engine paired with a ten-speed automatic transmission, offers full-size SUV buyers improved efficiency without sacrificing its maximum towing capacity or passenger space.
Chevrolet Suburban Diesel
A sibling of the GMC Yukon XL, the Chevrolet Suburban Diesel shares many features including its powerful yet efficient diesel option which makes it an attractive alternative for large families looking for cargo space and comfort in their sport utility vehicle.
Cadillac Escalade ESV Diesel
Fusing luxury with power, the Cadillac Escalade ESV Diesel boasts an upscale interior alongside its robust 3.0-liter inline-six diesel engine, providing a smooth and comfortable ride for passengers while maintaining impressive towing capacity.
Land Rover Range Rover Sport TD6
The Land Rover Range Rover Sport TD6 is an all-wheel drive luxury SUV that offers both performance and off-road capabilities with its 3.0-liter V6 turbodiesel engine, making it a top choice among those seeking adventure without compromising on style or comfort.
Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv-D
A more compact option in the diesel SUV market, the Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv-D provides drivers with an efficient yet powerful driving experience thanks to its 2.2-liter four-cylinder diesel engine paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission.
BMW X5 xDrive30d
Last but not least, the luxurious BMW X5 xDrive30d , equipped with a 3.0-liter inline-six turbodiesel engine, delivers exceptional fuel economy and performance along with ample passenger space and advanced safety features for families who prioritize both efficiency and luxury in their vehicles.
Diesel SUVs offer a dependable, robust performance for those who need to tow or carry heavy loads – making them an attractive option. Given their superior performance, diesel SUVs are a great choice for drivers who need to tow or haul heavy loads.
Key Takeaway: Explore the best diesel SUVs available in today’s market, offering better performance and fuel efficiency compared to their gasoline counterparts. These top contenders cater to car enthusiasts and drivers who prioritize performance, fuel economy, off-road capabilities or luxury experiences such as the Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel, GMC Yukon Duramax I-6, Chevrolet Suburban Diesel, Cadillac Escalade ESV Diesel, Land Rover Range Rover Sport TD6 Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv-D and BMW X5 xDrive30d.
Performance and Fuel Economy Advantages of Diesel Engines
Diesel engines have long been renowned for their superior performance and fuel efficiency, making them a favored choice among SUV drivers. Diesel engines are renowned for their strong performance and superior fuel economy, making them a great choice for SUV owners who need to tow heavy loads. This article delves into the background of diesel engine design, contrasting compression ignition and spark ignition systems, plus how these elements contribute to improved towing capacity in vehicles powered by diesel.
Rudolph Diesel’s First Engine Design
The first diesel engine was designed by Rudolph Diesel in 1893 with the aim of improving fuel economy compared to existing steam engines. The original concept involved compressing air within a cylinder before injecting fuel into it – a process that generates heat through pressure rather than relying on external sources like spark plugs found in gas engines. This method proved more efficient because less energy is lost during combustion.
Compression vs Spark Ignition Process
- Compression Ignition: In diesel engines, air is compressed inside the cylinder until it reaches high temperatures (around 540°C). Then, diesel fuel is injected directly into the hot compressed air which causes spontaneous combustion due to its low auto-ignition temperature.
- Spark Ignition: Gasoline engines rely on a mixture of air and gasoline being drawn into cylinders where they are then ignited by spark plugs at lower temperatures (around 350°C).
This difference in ignition processes means that diesel vehicles can achieve higher levels of torque at lower RPMs compared to their gasoline counterparts – making them ideal for tasks like towing heavy loads or climbing steep inclines.
Towing Capacity Benefits with Diesels
One of the primary advantages of diesel engines is their superior towing capacity. Diesel-powered SUVs often have higher maximum towing capacities than those equipped with gasoline engines, thanks to their greater torque output and overall engine strength. For example, the GMC Yukon Duramax I-6 offers a maximum towing capacity of 8,400 pounds – significantly more than many gas-engine competitors in its class.
In addition to better performance under load, diesel vehicles also tend to deliver improved fuel economy when compared to gasoline counterparts – particularly during highway driving where constant speeds allow for optimal efficiency from turbodiesel engines. This makes them an attractive option for drivers who prioritize both power and fuel savings in their sport utility vehicle choice.
Diesel motors provide a noteworthy improvement in performance and fuel efficiency, making them an ideal option for car fanatics. Off-road capabilities are also improved in diesel SUVs, as demonstrated by the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited EcoDiesel and Land Rover Range Sport Terrain Response System.
Key Takeaway: Diesel engines offer robust performance and fuel efficiency, making them an attractive option for SUV drivers. They have superior towing capacity due to their greater torque output and overall engine strength, as well as improved fuel economy during highway driving. Diesel-powered SUVs are ideal for those who prioritize both power and fuel savings in their vehicle choice.
Off-Road Capabilities of Best-Selling Diesel SUVs
Dive into the off-road prowess offered by popular diesel-powered rigs such as Jeep Wrangler Unlimited EcoDiesel and Grand Cherokee, topping our list alongside other capable models like Land Rover Range Sport. All these vehicles score high in iSeeCars Quality Scores based on long-term reliability, value retention, and safety ratings from NHTSA and IIHS organizations alike.
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited EcoDiesel Off-Roading Features
The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited EcoDiesel is a top choice for off-road enthusiasts who want to combine their love for adventure with the efficiency of a diesel engine. Equipped with a 3.0-liter V6 turbodiesel engine that delivers 260 horsepower and an impressive 442 lb-ft of torque, this four-wheel drive beast offers excellent low-end power essential for tackling rough terrains.
- Rock-Trac® Four-Wheel Drive System: This advanced system provides superior control over traction while navigating through challenging landscapes.
- Dana® Heavy-Duty Axles: These axles are designed to withstand harsh conditions encountered during off-roading adventures.
- Sway Bar Disconnect System: By disconnecting the sway bar at lower speeds, you can achieve better articulation when traversing uneven terrain.
- All-Terrain Tires & Skid Plates: The aggressive tire design ensures optimal grip on various surfaces while skid plates protect vital components from damage during rocky excursions.
Land Rover Range Sport Terrain Response System
Another top contender in the diesel SUV category is the Land Rover Range Rover Sport TD6. The Range Rover Sport TD6 features a 3.0-liter V6 turbodiesel engine that produces 254 horsepower and 443 lb-ft of torque, allowing it to tackle even the most difficult terrains with ease.
- Terrain Response® System: This innovative system allows drivers to choose from multiple driving modes such as General Driving, Grass/Gravel/Snow, Mud/Ruts, Sand or Rock Crawl depending on the terrain they are traversing.
- All-Terrain Progress Control (ATPC): ATPC acts as a low-speed cruise control that helps maintain a steady speed during difficult off-road conditions while allowing drivers to focus on steering and navigating obstacles.
- Air Suspension: The adjustable air suspension offers improved ride quality over rough surfaces by raising or lowering the vehicle’s height according to different driving situations.
- Hill Descent Control & Gradient Release Control: These features ensure smooth descents down steep inclines by automatically applying brakes when needed and controlling acceleration after stopping on an incline respectively.
In addition to their powerful diesel engines and advanced off-road capabilities, both Jeep Wrangler Unlimited EcoDiesel and Land Rover Range Rover Sport TD6 offer spacious interiors with ample cargo space for all your adventure gear. Furthermore, these vehicles come equipped with state-of-the-art safety features like Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Traction Control System (TCS) and Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) ensuring maximum protection during your exciting expeditions into the wild.
For off-roaders, the best diesel SUVs offer a range of features to tackle challenging terrain. For those looking for even more luxury and comfort while still having access to robust performance capabilities, high end diesel models offer an exceptional experience.
Key Takeaway: The best diesel SUVs for off-road capabilities are the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited EcoDiesel and Land Rover Range Sport TD6. Both vehicles offer powerful engines, advanced off-road features such as rock-trac four-wheel drive system and terrain response system, spacious interiors with ample cargo space, and state-of-the-art safety features like electronic stability control (ESC) ensuring maximum protection during adventurous expeditions.
Luxury Experiences Offered by High-end Diesel Models
The epitome of off-road capability coupled with luxury can be found in models like Land Rover’s Range Rover while its midsize sibling, the Discovery, continues this legacy albeit in smaller proportions. The Audi Q7 provides an excellent sedan-like ride quality. Discover the upscale experience offered by these diesel SUVs.
Land Rover Range Rover’s Luxurious Interior and Features
One of the most luxurious diesel SUVs on the market is undoubtedly the Land Rover Range Rover Sport TD6. This full-size SUV offers a spacious cabin that can comfortably accommodate up to five passengers along with ample cargo space for all your luggage needs. Inside, you’ll find opulent materials such as leather upholstery and wood veneer trimmings creating a luxurious atmosphere.
- All-Wheel Drive: The Range Rover Sport TD6 comes standard with a full-time four-wheel drive system ensuring optimal traction on various terrains.
- Turbodiesel Engine: Powered by a 3.0-liter V6 turbodiesel engine producing 254 horsepower and a massive torque output of 443 lb-ft, it delivers exceptional performance without compromising fuel economy (22 mpg city /28 mpg highway).
- Safety Features: Advanced safety features include adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning systems, blind-spot monitoring systems and more to keep you protected on every journey.
Audi Q7 Premium Plus Diesel Package
If you’re looking for a large luxury SUV that combines the efficiency of a diesel engine with the comfort and convenience of a premium sedan, look no further than the Audi Q7. The 3.0L V6 TDI diesel provides a great blend of power (240hp) and efficiency (19/28 mpg).
- Seating Capacity: With three rows of seating, this large SUV can accommodate up to seven passengers comfortably.
- Eight-Speed Automatic Transmission: The Audi Q7’s smooth-shifting eight-speed automatic transmission ensures seamless acceleration for an enjoyable driving experience.
- Luxury Features: Some standout features in the Premium Plus package include heated front seats, panoramic sunroof, four-zone climate control system, and high-quality Bang & Olufsen audio system.
In addition to these two luxury diesel SUVs, there are many other options on the market that cater to various preferences and budgets. Explore more models such as BMW X5 xDrive30d or Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv-D to find your perfect match.
High-end diesel models offer an unparalleled luxury experience with their luxurious interiors and features. Moving on, family-friendly features in top diesel SUVs are essential for drivers who need to transport a large number of passengers safely and comfortably.
Key Takeaway: Luxury diesel SUVs offer an upscale experience with impressive features and performance. The Land Rover Range Rover Sport TD6 boasts a spacious cabin, advanced safety features, and all-wheel drive while the Audi Q7 combines efficiency with comfort and convenience through its 3.0-liter V6 TDI diesel engine and luxurious amenities such as heated front seats and panoramic sunroof.
Family-Friendly Features in Top Diesel SUVs
Explore the seating capacities, advanced suspension systems, cutting-edge entertainment options, comfort features and safety options available in some of the best family-friendly diesel SUVs on the market today. These vehicles prove versatile choices for anyone looking to invest in a reliable and efficient diesel-powered rig.
GMC Yukon XL Seating Capacity and Convenience Options
The GMC Yukon XL is a large SUV that offers plenty of space for families who need extra room. This full-sized SUV has the capacity to house nine individuals, with a potential for optional captain’s chairs in place of the second row bench seat. The second-row bench seat can be replaced with optional captain’s chairs if desired. This spacious vehicle also provides ample cargo space behind the third row when all seats are occupied.
- Seating capacity: Up to 9 passengers
- Cargo space: 41.5 cubic feet behind third row; up to 144.7 cubic feet with second and third rows folded down
- Safety features: Forward collision alert, automatic emergency braking, lane keep assist with lane departure warning, front pedestrian braking system among others.
In addition to its impressive size and safety features, GMC Yukon XL also boasts convenience options such as power-folding rear seats for easy access to cargo area or remote start system allowing you preheat or cool your vehicle before entering during extreme weather conditions making this an ideal choice for families prioritizing both practicality efficiency within their driving experience.
BMW X5 xDrive30d Safety Ratings and Passenger Space
The luxurious yet family-friendly BMW X5 xDrive30d offers a comfortable and spacious cabin with seating for up to seven passengers when equipped with the optional third-row seat. This diesel SUV also boasts impressive safety ratings, ensuring that your family is well protected on the road.
- Seating capacity: Up to 7 passengers (with optional third row)
- Cargo space: 33.9 cubic feet behind second row; up to 72.3 cubic feet with rear seats folded down
- Safety features: Active Driving Assistant including frontal collision warning, active blind spot detection, lane departure warning among others.
The BMW X5 xDrive30d has received top marks from both the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). Its advanced safety features include an array of driver assistance technologies designed to help prevent accidents or minimize their impact if they do occur making this luxury diesel SUV an excellent choice families prioritizing both style security within their driving experience.
The top diesel SUVs offer lots of features that make them ideal for families, providing great value to those seeking the most out of their vehicles. Since the Volkswagen “Dieselgate” scandal, there have been numerous advancements in diesel engine technology.
Key Takeaway: Discover the best family-friendly diesel SUVs on the market today, such as the spacious GMC Yukon XL with seating for up to nine passengers and ample cargo space. Alternatively, consider the luxurious BMW X5 xDrive30d which offers top safety ratings and advanced driver assistance technologies to keep your family safe on the road.
The Future of Diesel Engines in Light of “Dieselgate”
Despite the negative impact that the “Dieselgate” scandal had on consumer perception towards diesel engines, leading to their decline, top contenders still remain on the market. These vehicles offer performance advantages over gasoline counterparts while maintaining high iSeeCars Quality Scores based on long-term reliability, value retention and safety ratings from organizations like NHTSA and IIHS.
Impact of “Dieselgate” Scandal
In 2015, Volkswagen’s emission cheating scandal shook the automotive industry and cast a dark shadow over diesel technology. The company admitted to installing software in its diesel vehicles designed to cheat emissions tests by producing lower levels of harmful pollutants during testing than when driven under normal conditions. This revelation led to increased scrutiny for all automakers offering diesel options, resulting in decreased demand for these types of engines.
Continued Advancements & Innovations within Diesel Technology
Although “Dieselgate” tarnished the reputation of diesel-powered vehicles, it also pushed manufacturers to develop cleaner and more efficient technologies for their existing models as well as new ones entering the market. For instance:
- Turbodiesel engine: Many modern SUVs now come equipped with advanced turbodiesel engines that provide better fuel economy compared to traditional gas engines without sacrificing power or torque output.
- Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) systems: To meet stringent emission standards set by regulatory bodies worldwide, SCR systems are being employed in many new-generation diesels. These systems use a urea-based solution to convert harmful nitrogen oxides (NOx) into harmless nitrogen and water vapor, significantly reducing emissions.
- Hybrid diesel-electric powertrains: Combining the benefits of both diesel engines and electric motors, hybrid diesel-electric powertrains offer improved fuel efficiency while maintaining low emission levels. Examples include the Land Rover Range Rover Sport P400e plug-in hybrid model that pairs a 2.0-liter turbodiesel engine with an electric motor for enhanced performance and economy.
In conclusion, despite the challenges faced by diesel vehicles in recent years due to “Dieselgate,” advancements in technology continue to make them viable options for car enthusiasts and SUV drivers seeking better performance, fuel economy, off-road capabilities or luxury experiences. It is probable that, with continued progress in this field of auto engineering, we will observe even more efficient and cleaner diesel vehicles on the streets soon.
Key Takeaway: Despite the negative impact of “Dieselgate,” diesel SUVs still offer performance advantages over gasoline counterparts. Makers have been producing more effective and less polluting systems for their existing models, plus new ones in the market such as advanced turbodiesel engines, SCR techs, and diesel-electric powertrains. It is probable that, with the continual progress in this area of vehicle engineering, more efficient and less polluting diesels will be seen on our streets soon.
Frequently Asked Questions Best Diesel Suv
What is the best SUV diesel?
The best diesel SUV depends on individual preferences and requirements. Some top contenders include the Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel, GMC Yukon Duramax I-6, Chevrolet Suburban Diesel, Cadillac Escalade ESV Diesel, Land Rover Range Rover Sport TD6, Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv-D, and BMW X5 xDrive30d. Each offers a unique combination of performance, fuel economy, luxury features and off-road capabilities.
Why is diesel better for SUVs?
Diesel engines offer several advantages for SUVs such as higher torque output at lower RPMs which improves towing capacity and off-road performance. Additionally, diesels generally have better fuel efficiency compared to their gasoline counterparts due to their high compression ratios and lean-burn combustion process. This results in longer driving range between refueling stops.
Which is the most powerful diesel SUV engine?
Among popular models mentioned earlier in this article Car & Driver, currently lists the 2023 Porsche Cayenne S Diesel as having one of the most powerful engines with its 4.0-liter V8 producing an impressive 429 horsepower and 664 lb-ft of torque.
What diesel SUV has best mpg?
According to [fueleconomy.gov], the 2023 Mazda CX-5 Skyactiv-D is one of the best diesel SUVs in terms of fuel efficiency, offering an EPA estimated 28 mpg city and 31 mpg highway.
Overall, the best diesel SUVs provide great performance and value for money. For those searching for a smooth ride or an SUV able to tackle challenging landscapes, this compilation of top-rated vehicles provides a variety of options. From the Ford EcoSport to the Kia Seltos, each of these models offers reliable power and excellent fuel efficiency at competitive prices – making them some of the best diesel SUVs available today.
Discover the best diesel SUVs on newsuv.org and compare prices to find the perfect vehicle for your needs! Get informed about all of the latest models and their features before making a decision.
- Lincoln MKX vs Cadillac SRX: A Detailed SUV Comparison
- Nissan Murano vs Ford Explorer: An In-Depth SUV Showdown
- Battle of Luxuries: Maserati SUV vs Jaguar SUV Comparison
- Honda HR-V vs Chevy Trax: A Comprehensive SUV Showdown
- Honda Crosstour vs Toyota Venza: Detailed SUV Comparison
- Audi Q7 vs Porsche Cayenne: The Ultimate SUV Showdown
- Thrilling Speed: Your Ultimate Guide to the Quickest SUVs
- Apocalypse Jeep Price: A Deep Dive into Off-Road Luxury
- Discovering the Giants: A Journey Through the Heaviest SUVs
- Nissan Pathfinder vs Dodge Durango: An In-Depth SUV Showdown
- Exploring the Best Fuel Efficient Luxury SUVs Today
- Consumer Reports Unmasks: The Least Reliable SUVs of 2023
- Finding the Best SUV for Large Dogs: Comfort and Space Guide
- Discovering 2023’s Cheapest Electric SUVs for Value Seekers
- Exploring the Ins and Outs: What is a Full-Size SUV?
- Nissan Murano vs Ford Edge: A Comprehensive SUV Showdown
- Decoding the Average SUV Weight
- Subaru Showdown: Which is Bigger – Outback or Forester?
- Exploring What are the Most Reliable Used SUVs Today
- Mazda CX-3 vs CX-30: Comprehensive SUV Comparison Review